Allergy Friendly Friday
Greetings from Wellfleet! I’m back home on Cape Cod, in the town where I grew up. This is my son Lennon, fishing off the pier. He’s stirring up trouble wearing a Yankee’s hat in hardcore Red Sox territory. He was born in NYC, so maybe he has a bit of an excuse.
FYI, we fish off this pier, but we never catch anything. It’s all about the atmosphere, and practicing their casting. Here’s my other son, Monte, in a meditative moment.
The irony of 3 shellfish allergies in my immediate family is not lost on me. Wellfleet is the home of world famous shellfish. It is featured in fancy restaurants all around the globe. People always ask me how we can stand being here without eating the shellfish. Well, we order the chicken, are very careful about our fish choices, carry the epi pens diligently, and grill burgers instead. But I will admit that I sometimes feel a sadness that I can’t eat all the lovely fresh fish and shellfish here, and that my kids won’t experience a clambake. I am usually the voice of optimism about living well with food allergies, and while I am never sad that Lennon and I will never eat another walnut, and couldn’t care less that Nutella is OUT, I do wish I could eat salmon and shrimp again. What food do you feel a sense of loss over? I’m curious, what you’re missing, for you or your child? Does anything replace it? For example, I still get a huge thrill out of seeing the shellfish fishermen coming in with their trawlers at the end of the day. It gives me the Wellfleet experience, in another sort of way.
Sorry for the delay on Allergy Friendly Friday this week. I’m on summer time, and Friday is creeping towards Saturday! A few select highlights from last week’s Allergy Friendly Friday were:
- The No Tomato Sauce (inspired!) from Real Food Forager
- Gluten Free Fried Green Tomatoes from My Real Food Life
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Fresh Favas from Diet, Dessert and Dogs
- Dairy Free Chocolate Banana Ice Cream from Mom on a Mission
PLEASE remember you have to link back from your post, for me to feature your recipe! WITH A HYPERLINK THAT LINKS BACK HERE! Please add your links for this week. Please link back to this post so you can share both your own and other’s fabulous allergy-friendly recipes. And remember, I specialize in creating gluten-free recipes that are free of the top 8 food allergens, but yours don’t have to be. They just have to be allergy-friendly in SOME way.
ALLERGY-FRIENDLY FRIDAY LINK GUIDELINES: PLEASE READ!
- Please add only ONE post per blog.
- Please LINK back to this post so that your readers can find ALL the recipes linked to here. This is a sharing page.
- Link to your individual recipe post, NOT your homepage.
- Recipes DO NOT have to be completely allergen-free, just ALLERGY-FRIENDLY in some way.
- When you link, let us know who you are. For example, I might add Rice Milk Mayonaisse (cybele @cybelepascal.com)