Gluten Free Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies
GLUTEN-FREE HEMP SEED WEDDING COOKIES
(Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan, Allergy-Friendly)
Just in time for Christmas! And, surprise surprise, they’re good for you too! One of the greatest challenges of living with food restrictions is getting proper nutrition. So I am always looking for ways to sneak nutrient dense ingredients into my allergen-free recipes.
Hemp seeds (also called “Hemp Hearts”) are a fantastically nutritious source of protein, and Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids, which are often hard to get enough of when you can’t eat nuts or fish. These little seeds are not only nutritional powerhouses, they are also seriously tasty, and great in baked goods in place of tree nuts and peanuts. Contrary to popular belief, they are mild and “nutty”. They are great in cookies, tossed in a salad, or sprinkled over your oatmeal. In fact, I’m beginning to think, their possibilities are endless.
These cookies are not only fabulous for holiday parties, they’re good enough for any wedding, allergen-free or not.
What nutrients do you find it hard to get enough of on an allergen-free and/or gluten-free diet? Leave me a comment below.
Gluten-Free Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies
Makes about 40 1 1/2 -inch cookies
These little gems are normally made with walnuts, pistachios, pecans or almonds. This tree nut-free version is made with hemp seeds, is equally delicious, and highly nutritious. A perfect little sweet, full of “Hemp Heart”, to share with lots of love!
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups my Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled hemp seeds* (Manitoba Harvest hemp seeds are allergen-free)
- Confectioners sugar, for rolling
1. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, shortening and vanilla extract. Blend well.
2. In a separate bowl, measure out flour mix by spooning flour into a dry measuring cup, then leveling it off with a straightedge, or the back of a knife. (Do not scoop the flour directly with the measuring cup or you’ll wind up with too much flour for the recipe). Combine flour mix, xanthan gum and salt. Stir flour mixture and hemp seeds into sugar mixture, stirring until dough holds together. Cover the bowl and chill about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove the dough from refrigerator. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, pressing together like you would with Play Dough.
4. Place balls 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake cookies on center rack in oven for 18-20 minutes until set but not brown.
5. Cool for 10 minutes on cookie sheets. Gently remove cookies with a thin spatula (be careful, cookies are delicate) and roll them in confectioner’s sugar. Cool completely and re-roll in confectioner’s sugar.
TIP If cookies aren’t eaten within a day, store them in the freezer. Layer them in single layers between parchment paper. Enjoy them at room temperature.
GLUTEN-FREE HEMP SEED WEDDING COOKIES
© 2010 by Cybele Pascal
(Please note that all my recipes are completely free of all top allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, fish, shellfish, and gluten), so as many people as possible can enjoy them. Additionally, all the ingredients are available at Whole Foods, and online at Amazon.com. If you have trouble finding something, let me know and I’ll help you find it.)
SAFETY NOTE: Because each person’s food sensitivity and reaction is unique, ranging from mild intolerance to life-threatening and severe food allergies, it is up to the consumer to monitor ingredients and manufacturing conditions. If manufacturing conditions, potential cross contact between foods, and ingredient derivatives pose a risk for you, please re-read all food labels and call the manufacturer to confirm potential allergen concerns before consumption. Ingredients and manufacturing practices can change overnight and without warning.
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lisa Chan-Simms. Lisa Chan-Simms said: RP's Cooking Update: Gluten-Free Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies | Cybele Pascal Allergen … http://bit.ly/grAyJl #cooking #recipes […]
[…] the original post: Gluten-Free Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies | Cybele Pascal Allergen … Filed Under: Hemp News, on, the Tagged With: classic, the-classic, […]
[…] Gluten-Free Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies | Cybele Pascal Allergen … […]
These look so tasty! My family is Greek and we make cookies that look and sound very similar to these called kourembiethes. They’re very calorie heavy, so I’m quite happy that there’s a healthy alternative I can make 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
I hope you and your family enjoy these.
[…] My favorite allergen-free cookbook author & recipe developer is Cybele Pascal. She has a GREAT recipe for all 8 allergen-free Wedding Cookies. […]
[…] Gluten-Free Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies […]
[…] your diet and food sources, shouldn't meat fall under the same scrutiny? Oh well. Check out these "Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies" or "Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies" – delicious! My only criticism is that a lot of the […]
[…] bar is in replacing the ubiquitous nuts. Luckily, as you may already know, I’ve been on a “hemp kick”. Hemp and Flax are fantastic sources of protein and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. To further […]
Making these yet again, we love them! Thank you!
[…] This recipe is a total keeper. In fact, after getting over the sticker shock for a pound of hemp seeds and making my first batch of these I got onto amazon and ordered a giant five pound container of hemp seeds (amazon affiliate link). We use Whole Foods’ powdered sugar because it is corn free as well as a corn free xanthan gum. I must warn against doubling the recipe, every time I’ve done it the results aren’t as good as a normal sized batch. […]
Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your blog. You have some really great posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested. Cheers!
[…] 25. Hemp Seed Wedding Cookies by CybelePascal.com […]