Gluten Free Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan)
Makes 24 2-Inch Cookies
These double chocolate sweeties are a perfect fudgy treat for the Holidays. Bake them up with your kids for an extra bit of fun. My boys love making the thumbprints, and then gobbling up their handiwork, with a tall glass of rice milk.
- 1 1/4cups my Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix (see recipe below), or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain-flavored rice milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour mix, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Mix thoroughly, being sure to work out any lumps of cocoa powder.
3. Using an electric mixer set on medium speed, thoroughly combine canola oil and rice milk. Add vanilla extract and sugar. Mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients to wet and mix on low speed, scraping sides of bowl.
5. Scoop out dough by heaping teaspoonfuls and place on prepared cookie sheets, 12 per sheet. Wet hands with a little water and roll dough into balls.
6. Bake in preheated oven on center rack for 5 minutes.
7. Put chocolate chips in a microwave-safe dish and melt. This will take about a minute; check chips every 15 seconds and stir. Once chips are melted, set them aside.
8. Remove cookies from oven. Wet your thumb slightly with cool water and, working quickly, make thumbprint marks in the center of each cookie. Fill thumbprints with 1/4 teaspoon melted chocolate.
9. Return cookies to oven and bake an additional 8 minutes.
10. Let cookies cool 5 minutes on cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack.
*Tip: Allergy-friendly chocolate chips are available from Enjoy Life Foods (enjoylifefoods.com).
Each cookie contains 104 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g protein.
Gluten-Free, Allergy-Friendly Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies © 2009 by Cybele Pascal
This recipe was first published in the December/January 2009 issue of Living Without magazine.
Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour MIx
MAKES 6 CUPS
4 cups superfine brown rice flour**
1 1/3 cups potato starch (not potato flour)
2/3 cup tapioca flour/starch
Measure out flour by spooning into a dry measuring cup, then leveling off with a straightedge. Combine all ingredients. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
**Tip: Superfine brown rice flour is available from Authentic Foods (authenticfoods.com). To make your own, process brown rice flour in a clean coffee grinder.