“Buttermilk” Oven-Fried Chicken
Serves 4 to 6
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
Oven-baked chicken is much lower in fat, but the skin never fully crisps like deep-fried chicken. The solution: remove the skin – cutting fat even further. This allows the chicken to better absorb the marinade, for the breading to adhere to the surface, and it creates a much better texture when served at room temperature or cold.
1 cup (250 mL) plain rice milk
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1/2 tsp + big pinch salt, divided
freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
3 pounds (1.5 kg) chicken parts – drumsticks, thighs and bone-in split breasts (cut in half crosswise), skin removed.
3 cups (710 mL) gluten-free corn flakes (such as Erewhon brand) or 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (I use Ener-G)
1/2 cup (120 mL) dairy-free, soy-free mozzarella cheese alternative (I use Daiya)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup (60 mL) dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread (I use Earth Balance), melted
1. In a large shallow dish whisk together rice milk, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and a few turns of freshly ground pepper. Drizzle in oil, a little at a time, while whisking to combine.
2. Add chicken to rice milk mixture. Turn to coat. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Grind cornflakes into a fine crumb in a blender or food processor. Transfer crumbs to a wide shallow bowl.
4. Pulse cheese alternative in a blender or food processor until it’s the texture of grated Parmesan. Add the grated cheese alternative to the crumbs, as well as cayenne, big pinch of salt and a few turns of ground pepper. Toss to combine.
5. Arrange a rack on top of a large baking pan. Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off, turn in crumb mixture to coat and place on rack. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Let chicken dry on rack for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 425° F. Arrange the chicken on a lightly greased baking pan. Drizzle with buttery spread. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve hot or at room temperature.
“Buttermilk” Oven-Fried Chicken © 2013 by Cybele Pascal
This recipe first appeared in the Summer 2013 issue of Allergic Living Magazine
This week, I had the pleasure of a visit from Lori Corbin – The Food Coach from ABC7 here in LA. I’ve been hoping The Food Coach would pay me a visit since my last book, so was really thrilled when I got the call that Lori was coming over to check out my new Allergy-Friendly Asian recipes for Chinese New Year, from my new book Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking. For more about the interview, and the recipes featured in this video, plus tips on how to celebrate an allergy-free Chinese New Year, please see the article here.
To purchase, or find out more, Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking
Allergy Friendly Friday
This is the first Allergy-Friendly Friday post of the new year. I don’t know about you, but I need to revamp my diet a bit after way too much celebratory eating and drinking. I don’t really fit into my pants right now. At least not my muffin top. Tomorrow, I go back to Los Angeles, and I am promising myself a little healthy restraint. Can you help me out by posting your lightest, healthiest, most diet-friendly allergy-free and gluten-free recipes? I would be so grateful! (more…)