Lentil and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 6 servings
Free From gluten and all top 8 allergens
Lentils are said to resemble mini coins, and an abundance of these tiny edible legumes symbolizes wealth in the New Year. This rich and flavorful gluten-free appetizer can be prepared through Step 4 and chilled a day in advance. Just before your guests arrive, drizzle the stuffed caps with olive oil and bake. To make vegan, omit the pancetta.
30 crimini mushrooms (2-3 inches wide)
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 1/2 oz (42 g) pancetta, diced (optional)
1/2 cup (120 mL) minced red onion
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped fresh sage
pinch crushed red pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1/2 tsp salt + additional for mushroom caps
2 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread
1 cup (250 mL) cooked lentils (1 15 oz can, drained)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 cup (250 mL) gluten-free, allergen-free bread crumbs
1/2 cup (120 mL) shredded dairy-free, soy-free cheddar cheese alternative (such as Daiya)
freshly ground black pepper
paprika, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. With a dry paper towel, gently wipe dirt off mushrooms. Remove stems. Trim off the rough bottoms of stems. Finely chop remaining stem portions. Place mushroom caps, top-side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan or a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Add onion, thyme, sage and crushed red pepper and cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, while stirring. Add chopped mushroom stems and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Add buttery spread and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
4. In a medium bowl, mash 1/2 cup lentils until relatively smooth. Stir in remaining lentils, cooked mushroom mixture and parsley. Add bread crumbs, shredded cheese alternative, and a few turns fresh black pepper. Stir gently to combine.
5. Lightly sprinkle mushroom cap cavities with salt. Stuff each with a rounded tablespoon of lentil stuffing. Lightly sprinkle tops with paprika.
6. Drizzle stuffed mushrooms with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, until mushroom are tender and filling is golden brown. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
Lentil and Herb Stuffed Mushrooms © 2015 by Cybele Pascal
This recipe first appeared in the Winter 2015 issue of Allergic Living Magazine