Classic Creamy Macaroni Salad
Serves 4 to 6
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Pasta salad may seem like a no-brainer, but gluten-free pasta can get tough after a few hours, and allergy-friendly mayo isn’t always easy to locate. Luckily, I’ve got a few recipe tricks up my sleeve to tackle both issues.
8 oz gluten-free elbow macaroni pasta (I use Tinkyada brown rice with rice bran)
½ cup + 2 tbsp soy-free vegan mayonnaise (store-bought or my Rice Milk Mayonnaise)
1 large garlic clove, minced or crushed
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp gluten-free sweet relish
2 tbsp plain rice milk
½ cup minced celery
½ cup minced red bell pepper
2 tbsp minced yellow onion
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Curly parsley, for garnish
1. Cook pasta in salted water until tender (do not stop at al dente). Drain but don’t rinse. Spread in a single layer on a baking tray to let cool and dry.
2. Combine mayonnaise, garlic, sugar, vinegar, mustard and relish in a medium bowl. Whisk in rice milk until smooth.
3. Toss pasta in a large bowl with celery, bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and a few turns of freshly ground pepper. Add dressing, and stir gently to coat.
4. To let flavors meld, cover pasta tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
5. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste. Serve garnished with fresh parsley.
Classic Creamy Macaroni Salad © 2013 by Cybele Pascal
This recipe first appeared in the Summer 2013 issue of Allergic Living Magazine