Last week, I posted the picture for these Allergy-Free Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies without the recipe. Unfair! Sorry about that. Here, I’m making up for my oversight. I created this cookie in 2010 in honor of Food Allergy Awareness Week. It’s super healthy, but a decadent treat. Kids and adults like it equally. It’s gluten-free, vegan, and free of all top 8 allergens. It’s also sesame free and can easily be made corn-free by using Authentic Foods Xanthan Gum and Hain Baking Powder.
FAAN attendees who asked me for the rec on gluten-free dairy-free pizzas, the brand is Bold Organics. They look fantastic. I haven’t tried them myself, so am merely passing on the name, and this is not an endorsement (yet!). Bold Organics, send me some pizzas to review! Hint hint!
Allergy-Free Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen 3-inch cookies
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon my Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp. warm water, mixing well. Set aside. This is your “flax egg.”
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the shortening, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar, mixing on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and the flax egg. Mix about 30 seconds on low speed until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, the remaining 1/4 cup flaxseed meal, gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add oats and mix.
5. Add dry mixture to stand mixer bowl, and mix on low speed until combined. Add raisins and chocolate chips, mixing on lowest possible speed until just combined.
6. Using a 2-Tbsp. scoop, place dough balls on a baking sheet and flatten them slightly.
7. Bake in the center of the oven 13 minutes, until lightly golden.
8. Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Allergy-Free Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies ©2010 by Cybele Pascal
(Please note that all my recipes are completely free of all top allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, fish, shellfish, and gluten), so as many people as possible can enjoy them. Additionally, all the ingredients are available at Whole Foods, and online at Amazon.com. If you have trouble finding something, let me know and I’ll help you find it.)
SAFETY NOTE: Because each person’s food sensitivity and reaction is unique, ranging from mild intolerance to life-threatening and severe food allergies, it is up to the consumer to monitor ingredients and manufacturing conditions. If manufacturing conditions, potential cross contact between foods, and ingredient derivatives pose a risk for you, please re-read all food labels and call the manufacturer to confirm potential allergen concerns before consumption. Ingredients and manufacturing practices can change overnight and without warning.
It’s been awhile since I’ve shared this video, but it’s one of my favorites, so I’m sharing it again for all my new subscribers (hi!) who didn’t get a chance to see it when I first posted it over a year ago! This simple gluten-free vegan scone recipe is easy to whip up, but will really impress your friends and family, and wow your taste buds. It’s a perfect breakfast or tea time treat for these cold winter days. Enjoy, and let me know what type of breakfast you like best, so I can start brainstorming recipes for you! And coming next post…. a review and giveaway of Jules E. Dowler Shepard’s new book “Free For All Cooking“! Stay tuned….