Allergy Friendly Sugar n Spice Cookies
Sugar ‘n Spice Cookies
The warmth of cardamom and nutmeg escalates these classic delights from ordinary to extraordinary. Carry them through the seasons with a diverse set of cookie cutters, from gingerbread men to Valentine hearts.
Makes 36 3-inch cookies
Free From: gluten and all top allergens
2½ cups + 2 tbsp my Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend, plus additional for rolling
¾ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp ground cardamom
⅝ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup dairy-free soy-free vegetable shortening
1½ tsp Ener-egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp plain rice milk
1½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp plain rice milk
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 tbsp plain rice milk alternative
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend, baking soda, cardamom, xanthan gum, nutmeg and salt.
2. In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat sugar and shortening on medium speed for 1 minute. Add egg replacer and vanilla extract and beat for 20 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with milk alternative (1 tablespoon at a time), beginning and ending with flour mix, until all cookie ingredients are fully combined and begin to form a ball in center of bowl.
3. Lay out two sheets of wax paper. Divide the dough evenly between the two sheets and shape into two disks. Wrap each disk in wax paper and chill 2 hours in refrigerator; if chilled much longer the dough will become brittle.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Dust your work surface and rolling pin with flour blend. Place one dough disk on work surface (leave other disk in the refrigerator) and dust with flour blend. Roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness, sprinkling on more flour blend as needed to avoid sticking. Cut dough into desired shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters. Transfer cut dough to baking sheets. Gather up remaining scraps, roll out and cut until all dough is used up. Repeat process with second disk of dough.
6. Bake cookies in center of oven for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. For glaze, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk alternative in a small bowl until smooth. Use a pastry brush to paint cookies with glaze and dry, glaze side up, on wire rack for 1 hour.
Allergy-Friendly Sugar ‘n Spice Cookies © 2013 by Cybele Pascal
This recipe first appeared in the Winter 2013 issue of Allergic Living Magazine