Gluten-Free Chicken Vegetable Yakitori
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Serves 4 as a main, 6 as an appetizer
Yakitori is traditional Japanese street food. These tasty grilled skewers are usually dependent on soy and wheat/gluten for their flavorful marinade, but this allergy-friendly version is made with coconut amino acids instead for a gluten-free, soy-free savory, sweet, and tangy sauce.
The skewers are great for dinner, but also good party food, as they are easy to pass and require no utensils! I like making them with wooden or bamboo skewers, but they can also be made with metal skewers.
6 tbsp coconut amino acids
2 cloves garlic, finely minced, or pressed
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp dry sherry
3 tbsp mirin
1½ lbs boneless chicken breast, cubed into 1-inch pieces
6 green onions, white and green parts, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
8 ounces small white button mushrooms (halved, or even quartered if larger than 1 ½ inches) trimmed and wiped clean (don’t rinse)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well to dissolve brown sugar. Transfer to a small saucepan, using a rubber spatula to scrape out all sauce from the bowl.
2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, decrease heat to medium-low and keep at a slow simmer for 18 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and let cool to room temp. (Or place in refrigerator to cool).
3. Combine sauce with chicken in a large bowl, tossing well to coat the chicken. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 2 hours.
4. Meanwhile, this is a good time to prep your vegetables.
5. In the final hour of marinating the chicken, soak wooden or bamboo skewers in cool water. You will need about 10 skewers if you are using 10-inch skewers, and 16 if using 8-inch skewers.
6. Thread chicken and vegetables onto the skewers, starting with peppers, alternating chicken and vegetables. Don’t pack too tight. Reserve the remaining marinade to baste the skewers while grilling.
7. Brush skewers with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper, flip, sprinkle other side.
8. Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill well.
9. Add skewers, baste with reserved marinade.
10. Cook for 4 minutes, flip skewers. baste again, and cook 4 minutes. Continue cooking, turning to brown on all sides and until chicken is cooked through, about 16 minutes total. Keep an eye on them, as they need to be turned often. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
Gluten-Free Chicken Vegetable Yakitori © 2013 by Cybele Pascal
This recipe first appeared in the Winter 2013 issue of Allergic Living Magazine