This morning, I woke up feeling like making something. Luckily, I’m the ultimate pack rat when it comes to keeping stocked cupboards, so my options are plentiful. Chances are, if it’s something you bake, I’ve got the ingredients. So I settled on granola (my husband loves it), and got to work. Gluten-free allergy-friendly granola is darned expensive, so I figured I was being thrifty in addition to entertaining myself with my brand new LG Gas Range, the new love of my life. If you missed it on facebook, here it is again. I haven’t named it yet, but suggestions are welcome.
Today also happens to be Celiac Awareness Day, so this is a bit of a tribute. For those of you who don’t know the company Gluten-Free Harvest, they grow and manufacture nothing but Gluten-Free Oats. They sell them in both organic and conventional. I buy mine in bulk on Amazon. For my comments on Coconut and Gluten-Free Oats, please see my Ingredients Smarts page.
GLUTEN-FREE CINNAMON HEMP GRANOLA
Makes 8 Servings
This hearty, healthful granola is great with a little chilled rice milk, grabbed by the handful, or my favorite; sprinkled over So Delicious Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt.
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Old-Fashioned Oats (I’m a fan of Gluten-Free Harvest)
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil (for medium high heat), liquefied, or safflower oil, or sunflower oil, or canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, or palm sugar, or date sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raisins (or 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup other dried fruit of choice)
- 1/2 cup toasted hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts)*
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. In a bowl, toss oats with coconut oil to coat evenly. Sprinkle in brown sugar and cinnamon, and toss again.
3. Drizzle in maple syrup, and toss one more time, to coat oats evenly. Transfer oat mixture to a greased baking tray, and smooth as evenly as possible into a single layer.
4. Bake in center of oven 15 minutes, remove, toss and bake 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and toss one last time. Bake oat mixture 5 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, sprinkle raisins and hemp seeds in the bottom of a large baking pan.
6. Remove oat mixture from oven, and pour gently over the top of the fruit and seeds. Gently combine.
7. Let cool to room temp. Once cool, store in an airtight container.
*To toast hemp seeds, heat a small heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the hemp seeds, and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes, until they start to turn golden and aromatic. Remove from heat and let cool.
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Hemp Granola
© 2012 by Cybele Pascal
Please note that all my recipes are completely free of all top allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, fish, shellfish, and gluten), so as many people as possible can enjoy them. Additionally, all the ingredients are available at Whole Foods, and online at Amazon.com. If you have trouble finding something, let me know and I’ll help you find it.
SAFETY NOTE: Because each person’s food sensitivity and reaction is unique, ranging from mild intolerance to life-threatening and severe food allergies, it is up to the consumer to monitor ingredients and manufacturing conditions. If manufacturing conditions, potential cross contact between foods, and ingredient derivatives pose a risk for you, please re-read all food labels and call the manufacturer to confirm potential allergen concerns before consumption. Ingredients and manufacturing practices can change overnight and without warning.