Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Labor Day marks the unofficial end of barbecue season, and deserves a bang-up grill-fest. I’ve always loved barbecues. When I worked at the Green Street Grill, in Cambridge, MA, the annual highlight was when we entered the yearly Rib-off. Hundreds of barbecue experts from around the country came to compete with their various special sauces, and such exotic delicacies as barbecued rattlesnake (from Texas), and grilled alligator (from FLA!). Barbecue is a varied, and richly textured culture and cuisine. But sadly, most barbecue sauces are off limits for people with food allergies. Well, no more! This recipe contains no soy or gluten, (common allergens usually found in barbecue sauce). And Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips add a rich sweetness that is irresistible. Try this sauce on your favorite barbecue meats. Brush it on as you’re cooking your meat or serve it warm on the side at the table.
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 cups water
1. Puree shallots and garlic in food processor. Add chocolate chips. Puree. Add raisins. Puree.
2. Add chili powder, ginger, optional barbecue seasoning, salt, pepper and tomato paste. Blend.
3. Add cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and molasses. Blend. Add water.
4. Transfer to a sauce pan and bring mixture to a simmer over very low heat, cooking 45 minutes and stirring often. Add a little more water if you like a thinner sauce.
5. Let cool. Store tightly covered in refrigerator until ready to use.
Allergy Friendly, Gluten-Free Chocolate Barbecue Sauce © 2010 by Cybele Pascal
(Please note that all my recipes are completely free of all top allergens (wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, fish, shellfish, and gluten), so as many people as possible can enjoy them. Additionally, all the ingredients are available at Whole Foods, and online at Amazon.com. If you have trouble finding something, let me know and I’ll help you find it.)
SAFETY NOTE: Because each person’s food sensitivity and reaction is unique, ranging from mild intolerance to life-threatening and severe food allergies, it is up to the consumer to monitor ingredients and manufacturing conditions. If manufacturing conditions, potential cross contact between foods, and ingredient derivatives pose a risk for you, please re-read all food labels and call the manufacturer to confirm potential allergen concerns before consumption. Ingredients and manufacturing practices can change overnight and without warning.