Makes 24 1½-Inch Cookies
This recipe harkens back to your grandmother’s cookies. These old-fashioned treats are richly flavored with molasses, spices and bitter orange marmalade.
¼ cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening*
¼ cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
for rolling cookies
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons bitter orange marmalade
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup Gluten-free Cookie Flour Blend
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
? teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350?F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening and 1/4 cup granulated sugar, mixing on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar, molasses, orange marmalade and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly for about 2 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour blend, xanthan gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Add flour mixture to shortening mixture and beat on low speed to combine, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
5. Using your hands, roll teaspoon-size pieces of dough into balls.
6. Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar into a shallow bowl or plate. Roll the balls in the sugar and place on the parchment paper.
7. Bake cookies in the center of the oven for 12 to 14 minutes, until puffed into perfect little domes and just starting to crack.
8. Let cool about 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
*Tip: Dairy-free, soy-free organic vegetable shortening is available at spectrumorganics.com.
Each cookie contains 66 calories, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g protein.
This recipe by Cybele Pascal (cybelepascal.com), author of The Allergen-free Baker’s Handbook (Random House/Ten Speed), was published in the December/January 2009 issue of Living Without magazine.
Gluten-Free Cookie Flour Blend
MAKES 6 CUPS
4 cups superfine brown rice flour**
1? cups potato starch (not potato flour)
? cup tapioca flour/starch
Combine all ingredients. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
**Tip: Superfine brown rice flour is available from Authentic Foods (authenticfoods.com). To make your own, process brown rice flour in a clean coffee grinder.